It started with a toast or two (or more) during the War of 1812. The good cheer continues…
British soldiers occupied a farm house on Jones Creek and celebrated with the homemade wine in the cellar. When Bethlehem Steel was founded, this home became the first clubhouse for Sparrows Point Country Club nearly 100 years later. In 1952, the booming steel mill needed space for expansion, so management purchased a 250-acre waterfront property overlooking Bear Creek, a Chesapeake Bay tributary.
William F. Gordon was retained to build the first 9 holes. Another interested start – he began in the golf industry as a seed salesman. By 1961, SPCC had 27 golf holes; the 18th has been called “one of the finest finishing holes in Maryland”. In 1985, Bethlehem Steel sold the club to its members, who oversee all operations and policy.
Amenities include a waterfront Olympic-sized pool, a 62-slip deep water basin, lighted Har-Tru tennis, long and short game practice areas, and a clubhouse with outstanding casual to fine dining.
The SPCC story continues, with plans to devote 75 acres to 312 homes, some townhomes and some single-family homes with golf course and water views. A planned-unit development (PUD) application has been filed, community input will be sought, and a County Council resolution will need to be passed. A few more hurdles wait to be cleared; meanwhile, a list of membership options awaits your consideration!